Malai kofta. Malai kofta recipe – Potato paneer koftas served with a delicious creamy curry. Originally, the term kofta refers to meatballs. In India, the vegetarian version of koftas are quite popular.
Malai kofta is a hugely popular dish on Indian restaurant menus all over the world. It is a special occasion food probably because making it is a labor of love and takes time and effort. Malai (meaning creamy in Hindi) kofta is the perfect vegetarian alternative to meatballs. You can have Malai kofta using 27 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Malai kofta
- You need of Kofta ingredients.
- It’s 1 of . Paneer – 75 gms.
- You need 2 of . Boiled Potato – 2 medium size.
- It’s 3 of . Corn flour 2 tbsp.
- It’s 4 of . Anardana powder – 1 tsp.
- You need 5 of . Salt as per taste.
- Prepare 6 of . Cilantro chopped.
- You need 7 of . Red chilli powder – 1.5 tsp (or u can adjust taste as per spice level u want).
- You need 8 of . OPTIONAL – Dry fruits for Stuffing in kofta – almond, raisin & cashew nuts (coarsely chopped).
- Prepare of Gravy ingredients.
- Prepare 1 of . Chopped Onion – 1 medium to large size.
- It’s 2 of . Chopped Tomato- 1 & 1/2 m to l size.
- It’s 3 of . Garlic chopped – 1 tbsp.
- You need 4 of . Ginger chopped – 1/2 tbsp.
- It’s 5 of . Green chilli – 1 tbsp.
- You need 6 of . Whole Black pepper – 8 to 10.
- It’s 7 of . Whole Cashews – 8 to 10.
- You need 8 of . Cooking cream – 3 tbsp.
- You need 9 of . Ghee – 1 & 1/2 tbsp.
- You need 10 of . Oil – 1 & 1/2 tbsp.
- It’s 11 of . Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
- You need 12 of . Salt as per taste.
- You need 13 of . Red chilli powder – 1tbsp.
- Prepare 14 of . Dhaniya jeera powder – 1tsp.
- Prepare 15 of . Dry Kasuri methi leaves – 1 tsp.
- It’s 16 of . Kali ilaichi / black cardamom.
- Prepare 17 of . Bay leaf.
Mughalai version: It has mild, slightly sweet, aromatic white gravy. This restaurant style malai kofta is a rich dish. So it is made on special occasions or for special guests. Malai kofta recipe is one of the popular paneer recipes.
Malai kofta step by step
- Method for kofta: – grate paneer and boiled potatoes (leave a small portion of grated potatoes to bind dry fruits), add all the ingredients except for dry fruits which needs to be used for stuffing. Combine everything. – Combine left over potato with dry fruits – Make small round balls of kofta and stuff dry fruits inside them – Roll it in dry maida flour and dust of excess flour – Deep fry them on medium to high heat until golden brown. Tip : add kofta only when u are about to eat.
- Method for gravy: – heat oil (1tbsp) and ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds, black pepper corn, kali ilaichi, bay leaf once done add onions and sauté until golden. Add chopped garlic, ginger & green chilli. Give a stir. – Add chopped tomatoes, cashew nuts and stir. Add salt as per taste. Add 3/4th cup of water and cook it with close lid for 5-6 mins. Let it cool, remove bay leaf and kali ilaichi and grind it in a smooth paste – Strain the paste (use little water to easily strain it).
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan and then add 1 tbsp red chilli powder & strained gravy – Add water to make the gravy thin but not watery, add kasuri methi. Check if extra salt is required. Cook it for 4mins on medium heat to get good consistency – Add 2 tbsp cooking cream and cook for 2-3 mins. To serve plate kofta and pour gravy. use cream and chopped cilantro to present it.
Malai Kofta is a very popular Indian vegetarian dish where balls (kofta) made of potato and paneer are deep fried and served with a creamy and spiced tomato based curry. The literal translation of this dish is malai=creamy/buttery and kofta=spiced balls (in this case made of potatoes and paneer). malai kofta recipe Malai Kofta is a super popular Punjabi curry. Deep fried koftas ( made from paneer, potatoes and carrots) are cooked in a rich malai kofta gravy. We show you how to make the koftas for malai kofta and the gravy for malai kofta in detailed step by step photos.