Mama's Triple Chocolate Cake. Chocolate cake donuts covered in a rich chocolate glaze with chocolate sprinkles. A Triple Chocolate Donut dream that's baked and so easy to make! There's no denying my love for donuts.
Sift together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Beat together the softened butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla. In a medium sized bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. You can cook Mama's Triple Chocolate Cake using 8 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mama's Triple Chocolate Cake
- You need 1 box of devil's food cake mix.
- You need 1/2 cup of vegetable or light olive oil.
- You need 3/4 cup of packed brown sugar.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- You need 1 cup of sour cream.
- Prepare 4 of large eggs.
- It’s 1 cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips – melted in microwave.
- It’s 1/2 can of chocolate frosting (homemade will work) – melted in microwave.
I have actually been holding onto this recipe for a decadent Triple Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Cake for a little while now. Inspired by my Peanut Butter Chocolate Mousse Pie, this cake has been served at my son's birthday party for the past two years, and it has been requested by my mother for her department's work birthday parties several times in the past year. Bake a cake that would make mama proud. German chocolate cakes are known for being rich, indulgent cakes, so enjoy a slice with a glass of milk.
Mama's Triple Chocolate Cake step by step
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a bundt or tube cake pan. Set aside. (9×13" May be used, but start watching for cake to be done at 35-45 minutes.).
- Do not make cake mix according to box, use this recipe's ingredients only! Add all listed ingredients except chocolate chips and frosting to a large bowl. Beat together with electric mixer on low speed until just combined. Continue on high speed 2 minutes more, scraping sides as necessary..
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each until smooth and pourable. Pour into cake batter and fold in until fully incorporated..
- Evenly pour batter into prepared cake pan. Shake pan and gently tap on counter to work out any air pockets. Place in center of oven. Bake for 50 – 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean..
- Remove from oven and cool in pan about 10 minutes then invert onto wire rack, remove pan and let cool completely. When cooled transfer to a serving dish or large platter..
- Melt chocolate frosting in microwave until pourable, about 30 – 35 seconds. Stir and drizzle over top of cake letting all the melty goodness ooze down the sides..
- Place in fridge for 1 hour to set frosting or enjoy immediately if you simply can't wait. Slice. Serve. Enjoy..
- Note 1: If you want some of the frosting to soak into the cake, poke two rows of holes about 1in. deep around the top with a chopstick or thin wooden spoon handle and make sure you pour plenty frosting into the holes! I like doing that from time to time (especially when doing 2 toppings). Helps makes the cake extra moist and crumbly. Mmmmm..
- Note 2: I was really craving this, but only had german chocolate cake mix, so that's what I used. I made a coconut caramel drizzle using fenway's salted caramel sauce recipe and it was to die for! "How to": Toast 1 c coconut spread out on a baking sheet in preheated oven at 300°F for 5 – 7 minutes, stirring at least once. Make the caramel sauce (attached), let it cool for about 10 minutes, stir in coconut, let sauce cool completely. Stir to loosen it up, then carefully spoon evenly over cake and let it flow down the sides. I highly recommend this variation now! Lol https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/355600-salted-caramel-sauce.
Parchment paper helps the cakes seamlessly release from the pans. Make the cake: Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder (if using) together in a large bowl. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk. Recipe: Mama's German Chocolate Cake If you want to show someone that you love them, bake them a layer cake. This stunning chocolate cake is pure Mama-Approved, Southern perfection!