Lauki kofta- A dish from northern India. Lauki kofta recipe – a light tomato based curry dunked with koftas made from bottle gourd. the curry is mild spiced and has a good flavor and slight tang due to tomatoes. The koftas along with the curry taste really yummy. Lauki (Bottle gourd) and Paneer Patties is a healthy, low-carb and spicy, gluten-free snack, which one may also stuff in a sandwich.
This dish is made by adding fried bottle gourd dumplings in a tangy tomato-based curry. It can be served with rice as well as roti. To my mother's delight, even as kids, my sister and I were never fussy eaters. You can have Lauki kofta- A dish from northern India using 21 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Lauki kofta- A dish from northern India
- You need 1 cup of grated bottle gourd.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of gram flour (besan).
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of red chilli powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of turmeric.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of coriander powder.
- It’s 1 tbsp of grated ginger.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of caraway seeds (ajwain).
- It’s of For Gravy:.
- Prepare 2 of tomatoes blanched and pureed.
- Prepare 1 of onion finely chopped.
- It’s 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste.
- It’s 1-2 tbsp of cream.
- You need of As per taste Salt.
- It’s 1 tbsp of cumin.
- You need 1 tbsp of mustard seeds.
- Prepare 1 pinch of hing(asafoetida).
- You need 1 of &1/2 tbsp coriander powder.
- Prepare 1/3 tbsp of kasoori methi.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of turmeric.
- You need 1 of &1/2 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder.
In curry dishes, Lauki is used as it is or in the form of kofta. It is also added to daals to enhance the flavor of daal. It is also added to daals to enhance the flavor of daal. Lauki is one of the common vegetables in northern India and it is often regarded low in the vegetable class, but making koftas or halwa of Lauki earns it its dues.
Lauki kofta- A dish from northern India step by step
- Add salt to the grated bottle gourd and using a muslin cloth drain the excess water. Keep the water aside for later use..
- Now add grated ginger, gram flour, turmeric, ajwain(caraway seeds), red chilli powder..
- Mix well and make small kofta balls.
- In a pan heat oil for deep frying and fry all the kofta balls in low to medium heat. Once done, keep them aside..
- For the gravy, in a pan take some ghee or oil, add cumin and mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Then add onions and saute untill golden..
- Then add ginger-garlic paste and stir until onions are lightly browned and paste is cooked. Then add the tomato puree..
- Now add all the dry spices and keep sauteing for 4-5 mins untill the gravy releases oil. Then add 1 tbsp ketchup and cook for another min..
- Once the gravy is done, add the salted lauki water and bring it to a boil. Taste the salt, and adjust if it's less..
- Now add the kofta to it and let it simmer(low heat) for abt a min. Then add crushed kasoori methi and cream. Mix well and switch off the flame..
- Allow it to rest for an at least half and hour so the gravy softens the kofta. Serve..
But one way to add this healthy vegetable in diet is to make yummy deep- fried koftas. Lauki kofta is a light tomato-based delicious gravy dunked with koftas made from bottle gourd (lauki or ghia or dudhi). First time I heard about and also had lauki ke kofte at my in-law's home. I had never heard nor knew that a curry is made from bottle gourd koftas. One of Northern India's favourite curries, it is prepared with tender-fried paneer and cream and is the yummiest of them all..