Spicy lauki kofta / bottle gourd kofta. Bottle gourd, known as lauki (ghiya) in Hindi and Dudhi in Gujarati, is generally not a popular vegetable in every household but it makes one of the best Indian curries – Lauki Kofta Curry in which deep-fried koftas (round shaped deep fried spicy dumplings) made of grated bottle gourd, gram flour, rice flour and ginger-garlic paste are cooked in spicy gravy of tomato and cashew nuts. Today we have brought for you the recipe of Lauki Kofta that is a bottle gourd curry. This delicacy is spiced up with all the masalas that will make you crave for more.
Koftas are dumplings made of a spiced mixture of potatoes, paneer or vegetables, which are deep fried until crispy. This Lauki Kofta Curry recipe is a summer special recipe using Lauki (Bottle Gourd, Lau or Opo Squash). Koftas made of grated lauki or Bottle Gourd is served with a tomato-based mildly spicy gravy. You can have Spicy lauki kofta / bottle gourd kofta using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spicy lauki kofta / bottle gourd kofta
- Prepare 1 cup of grated lauki.
- It’s 2 of tomato, green chilli and ginger paste.
- You need 4 tbsp of Besan / Gram Flour.
- You need 1 tsp of turmeric powder.
- It’s 1 tbsp of red chilli powder.
- It’s 1 tbsp of cumin powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of garam masala.
- Prepare leaves of Fresh coriander.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- You need As required of Oil for shallow frying.
It can be served with Indian flatbread like chapattis, rotis or naans, or with rice-based dishes like Cumin Rice or Peas Pulao. Kofta's can be made of Paneer / Potato / Bottle gourd / Raw Banana etc but for today the chosen is lauki kofta aka bottle gourd kofta. Making of lauki kofta curry does take some time but the end result is worth. perfect for a special dinner/weekend lunch. Lauki kofta curry is a simple and hearty Indian style vegan kofta curry.
Spicy lauki kofta / bottle gourd kofta instructions
- Rinse and peel the Lauki and grate it. Heat Kadai. Fry lauki till the moisture evaporate from lauki and cook well. Cool it. Transfer to a bowl. Add besan, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, green chilli and ginger paste, garam masala, salt and little oil. If we use oil in batter the koftas will be soft. Mix well..
- Make small round shape balls. Keep aside. Heat oil in a Kadai. Shallow fry the koftas till it becomes light brown in colour..
- For making gravy. Heat oil in Kadai. Add cumin seeds, whole red chilli. Let it crackle. Add ginger, green chilli and tomato paste. Fry for a few minutes. Then add all the spices powder. Stir and continue to fry the masala paste till it starts leaving oil from the sides. Add water as needed to the paste. Stir and simmer for 10 – 12 minutes.Lastly add the fried koftas. Cook for few minutes. Once it is done. Transfer to a beautiful bowl. Garnish with fresh cream. Ready to serve……
The vegetarian kofta prepared with bottle gourd is dunked in a spicy curry. This kofta recipe will completely change your mind about lauki (bottle gourd) and make you fall in love with it. Lauki kofta curry recipe : Lauki kofta or bottle gourd kofta curry is a delicious yet healthy recipe where fried dumplings are added to spicy tomato based gravy. Lauki means bottle gourd or ghia and kofta means dumplings. Generally lauki is not a popular vegetable in many household but this in this recipe you never found out that this curry is made up of lauki.