Lauki Kofta Curry. Lauki kofta is a light tomato-based delicious gravy dunked with koftas made from bottle gourd (lauki or ghia or dudhi). First time I heard about and also had lauki ke kofte at my in-law's home. I had never heard nor knew that a curry is made from bottle gourd koftas.
Lauki Kofta Curry is a simple recipe, with which cooking becomes not only less tedious but also healthier as the kofta are steamed rather than fried. Cook the gravy on a medium flame to avoid burning of spices and onions. Highly recommended for heart patients as it is low in sodium and fat apart from being high in potassium. You can cook Lauki Kofta Curry using 23 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Lauki Kofta Curry
- You need 1 1/2 cups of grated Lauki.
- It’s 5 tablespoons of Gram Flour.
- It’s 2 tablespoon of Rice Flour.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of Turmeric Powder.
- It’s 1 of Green Chilli, finely chopped.
- Prepare As required of Oil for deep frying.
- It’s As per taste of Salt.
- Prepare For of Gravy-.
- It’s 2 of medium Tomatoes.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of finely chopped Onion.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of Cashew Nuts, soaked in water for 20 minutes.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin Seeds.
- You need 1/2 tablespoon of Ginger-Garlic Paste.
- Prepare 2 medium of Onions, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of Coriander Powder.
- It’s 1/2 tablespoon of Ginger-Garlic Paste.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Red Chilli Powder.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of Garam Masala Powder.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of Turmeric Powder.
- It’s 1/4 cup of thick Curd (yogurt) (not sour).
- Prepare 3/4 cup of Water.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of Oil.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
Lauki kofta curry is a simple and hearty Indian style vegan kofta curry. The vegetarian kofta prepared with bottle gourd is dunked in a spicy curry. This kofta recipe will completely change your mind about lauki (bottle gourd) and make you fall in love with it. Serve lauki ke kofte with steamed rice, chapati, raita and salad for a wholesome.
Lauki Kofta Curry step by step
- Method for koftas: Peel and grate lauki. Squeeze out the water completely. Take grated lauki in a bowl. Add gram flour, rice flour, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, finely chopped green chilli, finely add chopped onion and salt..
- Mix all ingredients well & make round shaped balls. Do not keep this mixture for long Time..
- Grease your palms with oil and divide mixture into 10 to 12 portions. Take each portion and turn it into round shaped balls..
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium flame for deep frying. Add 3-4 balls at a time, Stir occasionally and deep-fry until they turn light golden brown and crisp. Take them out, drain excess oil and place them over tissue in a plate..
- Method for Gravy: Blanch the tomatoes and crush them with cashews nuts to make tomato-cashew puree..
- Heat 2-tablespoons oil in pan over medium flame. Add cumin seeds and cook for 7-10 seconds. Add ginger-garlic paste, chopped onion and stir-fry until it turns light pink in colour. Add tomato-cashew puree and mix well. Stir-fry for 5-10 minutes..
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and stir-fry for a minute. Add thick curd and mix..
- Add water and cook over medium flame for 3-4 minutes. Stir in between occasionally. Add fried kofta balls..
- Cook for 5 minutes and turn off flame. Transfer it to a bowl and garnish with coriander leaves..
Lauki Kofta curry is very popular curry recipe from Hyderabad. For those who does not know, Lauki Kofta = deep fried balls made from bottle gourd and some spices. So, lauki kofta curry means fried bottle gourd balls in onion-tomato gravy. Lauki Kofta Curry has these koftas prepared with lauki in a larger proportion, in comparison to potato, to minimize the caloric value of the dish. Also, koftas are not deep fried, but are simmered and cooked in the gravy itself.