Kofta Curry. This Indian meatball curry is savory, slightly spicy and full of flavor. You can use any ground meat to make this – I personally prefer beef or lamb when making kofta curry. Whatever type of meat you choose – know that it'll be minced in a food processor , resulting in a truly melt-in-your-mouth meatball.
Kofta is a meatball in the cuisines of South Asia, the Middle East, the Balkans and Central Asia. In its simplest form, the recipe for kofta curry consists of meatballs made with beef, lamb, chicken, or pork, that are mixed with spices and/or onions and served in a creamy sauce. What are the different versions of kofta? You can cook Kofta Curry using 32 ingredients and 20 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Kofta Curry
- Prepare of For the meatballs:.
- It’s 1 of small onion (120 grams after peeling) roughly chopped.
- You need 1 of green chilli pepper stem removed and roughly chopped.
- You need 1 tbsp of mint leaves optional.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of crushed garlic.
- Prepare 1 tsp of crushed ginger.
- You need 1 lb of ground beef.
- You need 2 tbsp of chickpea flour also called gram flour or besan.
- You need 1 of egg lightly whisked.
- It’s 1 tsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- You need 1/2 tsp of each(cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, red chilli powder, and garam masala).
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s of For the curry:.
- Prepare 1 of large onion roughly chopped.
- You need 2 of medium (or 3 small) tomatoesroughly chopped.
- Prepare 1 inch of cinnamon stick.
- It’s 1/4 cup of oil.
- You need 1 tsp of cumin seeds.
- You need 3 of whole cloves.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1-2 of green cardamom pods.
- Prepare 4-5 cloves of garlic crushed.
- Prepare 1/2 inch of piece ginger crushed.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of plain whole milk yogurt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cumin powder.
- You need 1 tsp of coriander powder.
- Prepare 1/2-1 tsp of red chilli powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of paprika powder (regular or smoked) (optional).
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 2 cups of water.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of garam masala.
Kofta curry is a delicious dish of succulent grilled or broiled beef meatballs in a rich, creamy and spicy sauce. It is full of fragrant Indian spices and makes a great weeknight dinner. This easy low carb meatball curry recipe is also freezer friendly. Great tips for lightening up the sauce included.
Kofta Curry instructions
- Combine the onion, green chilli pepper, cilantro leaves, and mint leaves (if using) in a food processor..
- Use the pulse function to chop so that the onions are finely chopped but not blended. You don’t want the onions to break down too much and release water..
- Then add the rest of the ingredients listed under meatballs (including the meat) and process to combine for about 30 seconds or just until mixed..
- Using a bit of oil to grease your hands, form into meatballs about 1 ½ inch in diameter. It should make around 25 meatballs. Set aside..
- For Curry: Rinse your food processor. Then use the pulse function again to chop the onion..
- Remove and set aside..
- Then chop the tomatoes and green chilli pepper. Set aside..
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed pan over high heat..
- Add the oil and whole spices, and allow them to sizzle for a few seconds..
- Then add the chopped onion and sauté, stirring often, for 7-8 minutes, or until golden. Lower the heat to medium-high..
- Add the garlic and ginger & sauté another 2 minutes, until the onions have deepened even more in colour..
- Add the tomatoes and green chilli pepper mixture, followed by the yogurt, spices and salt..
- Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until the oil starts to separate from the mixture..
- Add 2 cups water and rise the heat to bring to a boil..
- When the water comes to a boil, lower the heat to the lowest setting. Once it has stopped boiling, arrange the kofte in a single layer..
- Rise the heat to medium, cover and allow it to cook for 10 minutes. Uncover and gently stir the kofte..
- Lower the heat to low-medium. Cover and allow it to simmer for another 35 minutes, stirring once in between, until cooked through..
- Sauté to evaporate water to make the kofte to desired consistency..
- Taste and add salt, if needed. Sprinkle in garam masala..
- Serve hot with Naan..
Make it with ground lamb or gluten free. #Indianfood #kofta #curry #beef Kofta curry Recipe is spicy gravy dish made with delicious mince meat balls. It is commonly consumed in Pakistan and India. Curry or gravy is prepared with fried onions and tomatoes having spices like red chili, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and whole spice powder. Beef Kofta Curry, or simply kofte, is a classic Pakistani curry made of tender meatballs simmered in a spicy, flavorful sauce. This recipe has all the traditional flavor of old-fashioned kofte but it's made in an easier, more approachable way.