Malai kofta. Malai kofta recipe – Potato paneer koftas served with a delicious creamy curry. Originally, the term kofta refers to meatballs. In India, the vegetarian version of koftas are quite popular.
Malai kofta is a hugely popular dish on Indian restaurant menus all over the world. It is a special occasion food probably because making it is a labor of love and takes time and effort. Malai (meaning creamy in Hindi) kofta is the perfect vegetarian alternative to meatballs. You can cook Malai kofta using 35 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Malai kofta
- Prepare for of Gravy ingredients-.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of oil.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1 inch of cinnamon stick.
- It’s 4 of whole green cardamoms ,slightly crushed.
- You need 3 of cloves.
- It’s 1 tsp of shahi jeera seeds.
- It’s 6.7 of garlic,cloves roughly chopped.
- You need 1 inch of Ginger roughly chopped.
- It’s few of Green chilli chopped.
- Prepare 1 of large onion chopped.
- You need 2 of large tomatoes, chopped.
- You need 12 of cashews whole & raw.
- It’s 2 cups of water.
- Prepare 2 tsp of oil.
- You need 1 tsp of kashmiri red chilli powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt or taste.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of garam masala or more taste.
- It’s 2 tsp of crushed kasuri methi dried & fenegreek leaves.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of heavy cream.
- You need Pinch of cardamon powder.
- You need as required of coriander leaves to garnish.
- Prepare For of Kofta ingredients:-.
- You need 1 cup of mashed boiled potatoes.
- It’s 1 cup of grated paneer.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of finely chopped ginger.
- It’s 1 of green chilli chopped.
- You need 1 tbsp of chopped chashew.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chopped golden raisians.
- You need 1.5 tbsp of cornstarch.
- It’s as per taste of Salt.
- You need 1/4 tsp of white pepper powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of tspb cardamon powder.
- You need as required of Oil for frying.
Mughalai version: It has mild, slightly sweet, aromatic white gravy. This restaurant style malai kofta is a rich dish. So it is made on special occasions or for special guests. Malai kofta recipe is one of the popular paneer recipes.
Malai kofta step by step
- Make kofta:-Boil the potatoes using a pressure cooker,8-9 whistles on a stove to pressure cooker.you can do this on the side while making the gravy. once the potatoes are boiled let them cool a bit then peel and mash them..
- To a large bowl, now add all ingredients for kofta.boiled and mashed potatoes, grated paneer, finely chopped ginger, green chilli, cashew, raisins, cornstarch, salt, white pepper powder,& cardamom powder..
- Mix everything together with your hands to form a dough. start making koftas from the dough.take some part of the dough and roll between your palms to make it round..
- Similarly, make all the koftas 1 made 9 koftas each around 40 to 42 gmS..
- Make the gravy:-heat a pan on medium heat.once hot,add oil and then add the bay leaf,cinnamon,green cardamom,cloves and shahi jeera..
- Let the spices sizzle for few seconds and then add the chopped garlic,ginger,green chilli and onion. saute for around 2 min.do not brown the onion..
- Then add the tomatoes along with cashews and 2 cups of water and stir..
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook for around 10 to 12 minS untill tomato softens..
- Let ut cool down a bit (around 15 min if you blend it while it's hot it might blow off from the blender) then discard the bay leaf and transfer mixture to a blender..
- Blend to a smooth paste.use a strainer and strain the puree into another bowl.this makes sure the gravy is really smooth..
- Put the same pan on medium heat. again once hot and 2 tbsp unsalted butter & oil let the butter melt..
- Add in the pureed gravy and cook for 2 min. Then add the coriander powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, salt, sugar & garam masala. let the curry cook 2.3 min..
- Add crushed Kasuri methi and then cream, cook for an additional 2 to 3 min on medium-low heat. Sprinkle cardamom powder and coriander & garnish with onion rings..
Malai Kofta is a very popular Indian vegetarian dish where balls (kofta) made of potato and paneer are deep fried and served with a creamy and spiced tomato based curry. The literal translation of this dish is malai=creamy/buttery and kofta=spiced balls (in this case made of potatoes and paneer). malai kofta recipe Malai Kofta is a super popular Punjabi curry. Deep fried koftas ( made from paneer, potatoes and carrots) are cooked in a rich malai kofta gravy. We show you how to make the koftas for malai kofta and the gravy for malai kofta in detailed step by step photos.